Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Small chef

We signed little J up for a half day children's cooking school, which was yesterday. My cell phone was dead and I didn't bring my camera, so no pictures of him looking adorable in his apron and paper hat. He really enjoyed it though, the whole process, and the autonomy of learning these new skills without me hovering over him and without his sister bossing him around. The instructors let him chop vegetables with a knife, roll out pasta, mix, measure, stir, etc. They sent him home with a sampling of things he made (cookies and no-bake 'truffles', but not the home made pasta and sauce, the kids ate all of that while the cookies were baking) as well as a sheet of recipes.

So today he decided to make something from that recipe sheet - oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. He did it almost entirely by himself, the only thing I did was put the cookie sheets into the oven and take them out again.



I could get used to having another cook in the house...

No comments: